1.2.3.4.5.5.4.3.2.1

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Full Court Pressure

It's Saturday and I'm watching the Duke/GW game and I can't help to note the irony. My mind is weird but here it goes: So GW is renewed for there defense. They use an aggressive trap to make sure that their opponents are unable to score points (attain their goal). George Washington (GW) not like the GW Bush but I guess it can be the same thing, feel me? The government has us trapped in America, we are under pressure by GW to make sure that we don't attain our goals.

The newest frustration I have identified is with the public assistance program that many under privileged youth depend on for financial support. I spent about 2.5 hours last week signing up for public assistance in the form of food stamps. We decided that it would be at the very least be worth a try for me to get them. I admit that it may be wrong for me to use something that I really don't need, but I plan to pay a substantial amount of taxes in the near future and I want my money's worth! Plus, my parents are not exactly well off and any way that I can help, I want to do it.

So after a series of watching a video, waiting, and being interviews I was granted food stamps, the catch is that I have to work 17 hours this month and 29 hours there after. Now, I did the math and that amounts to about $5.15 (min wage) in exchange for the disbursement of food stamps. My issue is how will my situation ever improve? How is satisfying a work requirement for the cost of food going to help me secure financial freedom and rid myself on a dependence on the government to keep my refrigerator stocked? We live in a society where we are assigned a fate and forced to deal with it there after. The theory that the rich are getting richer and the poor have no hope. It frustrates me that this is the plight for so many that look like me. Why are we put in these positions in which there seems to be no way out? I can't imagine how my parents were able to live off the rations that were allocated by the government. I admire them and anyone else who is able to make it out of the trap. The unfortunate thing is that I don't see how it can be done while maintaining a virtuous existence. No wonder so many are selling food stamps, drugs, and even themselves!

The carrot is dangling out there... promises of happiness if we can just make that next buck, buy the newest of this. I'm glad that I am growing out of my officiating on the material as I improve my spiritual relationship. I fall but thank God for giving me another chance and not having me feel as if I am trapped. I pray that one day I will be able to empower the underprivileged in some fashion. I just want to break the trap!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home